Here they are, in no particular order*:
1. In January, my nephew, Liam, was born! I call him General Lee. Why? It’s not because I’m wishing the Confederates had one the war, or because I’m a big Dukes of Hazard fan, but because he reminds me of the Little Rascals kid, Spanky, who was in a movie called “General Spanky.”** (They both have chubby cheeks on a big round face.) Adorable!***
Take a look for yourself!
2. Got my yellow belt in Nunchucks! Granted, I sort of feel it was a pity belting, but I’ll take it! Nunchucks was a blast, and made me realize how much I love to make sound effects when I hit things! (This probably has something to do with being an Aunt to only nephews. I can make car revving sounds, ninja attack sounds, gun firing sounds, subsequent dying sounds, etc. with the best of ‘em!)
3. Went and saw the Dalai Lama. Really, it was quite an amazing experience. So many different people, so many monks, so many incense odors! He was quite funny and personable. And I even took orders to be a lay Buddhist monk.****
4. Started graduate school. It’s killing me, and I hate the homework, but, I do feel glad I have something new to share when people ask me what I’m up to. (Not that I go into detail about it. I mean, who wants to hear about “organizational theory”? No one. Not even me.)
5. Joined an art gallery. This was a major step for me. Just talking to other artists, (whose work actually hangs in a gallery), about my work (that is actually stacked in my closet) was hard. And to even be contemplating submitting it for a show makes me choke on phantom paint fumes.
Okay. So the year wasn’t as bad as I thought. Here’s hoping that 2010 gives me a TOP TEN! (And I hope the same thing for you to!)
*Well, actually they’re in date order. So, I lied.
**I tried to look for a clip of it on Youtube, because it’s a darling little movie. But, I’ve just learned that you really shouldn’t type in anything related to “spanky” on Youtube. Learn from my mistake!
***For next year, I’ll be able to add my new little nephew, Jackson, born just last week! Also, adorable!
****Technically, Becca pointed out that it was just to be a lay Buddhist, but, I liked the monk idea. Better robe options.