Thursday, April 24, 2008

Confession Time

So, I’m not a big movie person. Some people find this weird.

But, I didn’t realize just how weird I was until I was talking to a co-worker of mine, and she asked me what the last movie I saw in a theater was. And after thinking about it for like 5 minutes (seriously) it dawned on me that is was P.S. I love you.

And my co-worker looked at me in horror and disbelief, saying “But, that was last year!!”

My response: “Oh, really?”

That’s right friends. I have yet to see a movie in a theater this year!

It’s not that I don’t want to watch any movies. I do! It’s just that I never get around to going out to see them and then I completely forget about them. At this point, if a movie comes out that I’d like to see, I automatically save it on my Netflix because I know I’ll forget about it. (And then years later, someone mentions the movie at some kind of social gathering, and I’m the only dumbo who’s never seen it and I feel like a social pariah.)

So, please friends, next time you’re going to the movies, give me a call. I need to report back to my co-worker that I do actually watch movies. (I have a hard enough time explaining to people that I don’t watch reality TV shows.)

Oh, and thank you for still being my friends even though I’m slightly quirky. (But, really, aren’t we all?)


[This is unrelated, but if you're interested in participating in the literature blog, read the comment I left on my last post!]

5 comments:

Wendy said...

This is good to hear Liz, because I haven't seen a movie for a very long time either. My last was Juno, which I saw in the theater in January. Frankly, I don't even hear about movies anymore. If I ever drive by a theater and read their marquis I am in a state of mild confusion because none of the title mean anything to me. I haven't heard of them. Not even in passing. It's quite strange, really, because in my former life I quite enjoyed knowing what was going on with movies even if I never intended to see them. Maybe it had something to do with my love of watching the Oscars, which has also somehow passed without any conscious effort on my part. I guess I'm getting old.

Anonymous said...

I last saw "I Am Legend" and before that I think it was "Pirates 3." Going to the movies isn't a great hobby Liz, don't be hard on yourself. The fact that you have Netflix means you are making an active effort, and that speaks volumes.

themayerfamily said...

I honestly can't remember the last time I went to the movies. I think it was pride and prejudice with Kierra knightly. I don't know, it's been over a year. I do the same thing with netflix. Then by the time they get here I am like, why did I put that in my queue> Then I go through and remove lots of movies I can't remember why I put in there. Thus, I miss them anyway. Also, commenting on an earlier post--I miss school too and the way it stretches you. I guess you're just being stretched in other ways now.

Eddie said...

I can't remember the last movie I saw in the theater. I know we tried to see a movie last summer, but the one my wife wanted was sold out, and the one I wanted looked boring to her. We got ice cream and called it a night.

Plus, I'm too practical for it. The ticket prices are outrageous now (then add a sitter on top of that if you've got kids), especially when I can just wait a few months and get it from Netflix. DVD's are great: pause it when I want a snack, watch the rest tomorrow if I'm falling asleep, etc.

courtney said...

is this co-worker the same as the cat lady up top? if so, i wouldn't worry about impressing her. in fact, you might just consider going out of your way NOT to impress her as a matter of course. you do your thing, liz.

haven't been to the new lit blog, but it's my next stop...