Friday, April 24, 2009

A Question that has the power to change our lives…

1) If you knew you could not fail, what dream of yours would you make come true?


I’ve been thinking about this question for weeks now. Fear of failure stops us from so much in our life, and it’s something I’m working on overcoming.

Now, I have a great life, don’t get me wrong. And over the last year I’ve incorporated a lot more of what I love (and used to fear) into my day-to-day. But, I want more!

So, I’ve been asking myself, if failure wasn’t going to happen, what would I do?

And now, I’m asking you the same thing…

Think of the possibilities!

Would you quit your job and start your own business?

Would finally write that novel? Paint that picture? Publish that poem?

Would you move to a completely different country?

Would you leave an unhealthy relationship?

Sell everything you own and travel the world?

Tell your secret crush that you love them?

Would you cut and dye your hair?



We only have one life!

Don’t let fear rule it…

4 comments:

Amanda said...

This is such a great question and I've been thinking about it for a few days now. At first I thought that I don't have a fear of anything that keeps me from realizing my dreams. After awhile I realized that I don't pursue my woodworking dream because of fear. I would love to design and build my own furniture and make really good money at it. :)
I fear that I wouldn't remember everything I needed to know and I would cut off a finger or a piece of wood would fly from the table saw and leave me blind. Or simply that I am in fact not at all creative enough to do it and I wouldn't be able to make any money at it. So, there it is. Out there for everyone to read.
I hope this was one where we were actually supposed to leave our answer. If not, I'm feeling kind of sheepish now. Hurry and share someone.

Heather said...

I think that I'd use my can't-fail-wish on a husband. Haha--I know it sounds dumb, but my biggest fear now is marriage. I've gotten over my fear of failing in most other areas...but I've seen so many marriages fail that I don't trust myself to pick a good man. I mean, I've seen smart people pick good people and it still didn't work, so how am I any different?

PS- my word verification is flacula, which reminded me of Rachel's favorite word and gave me a good laugh. I imagine it is some variation of a verb in which you hit someone with a spatula so I'm picturing Rachel chasing after someone. Haha.

themayerfamily said...

I've been thinking about this all week and then I just read your blog. I think fear is our great stopper. Fear plays into our society more than we realize, I think, and I think it governs our lives a lot of the time. We don't speed, because we fear getting a ticket.
However, on a gospeley(is that a word?) note, we can't have fear and faith in the same things. What things could we really accomplish if we let it go and replaced it with faith that we could succeed in anything?
Wow! I'm going to have to ponder that some more.

Sheba's Mommy said...

I'm sure there are many things I would do without fear. Maybe go away to a far away college? Sit down and finish a well thought out novel?? Actually, that one I really should try. I don't have nearly enough faith in myself to do that, but it is something I would LOVE to do! You have given me something to think about Liz, thank you!