Wednesday, March 5, 2008

“Wonder”-ful Wednesday

So, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself recently (surprise, surprise).

Mostly about how I constantly mess things up for myself. How I let myself down. How I’m not really nice to myself all the time. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

And as I was doing some reading (you know how I love to research things) on the “self” and why we’re so hard on it, I came across this quote:


Self-destruction is the effect of cowardice in the highest extreme. ~Daniel Defoe


Cowardice, huh?

I never thought of it like that. But, the more I’ve been reflecting on this idea, the more it rings true to me.

I’m self-critical to stop myself from taking chances!

That’s what I’ve been doing all along with my writing. I’ve really frozen myself with my judgmental attitude. I tell myself that I’m only saying what other people are thinking (and maybe some are), but really, it’s just a way to say “See, Liz, you shouldn’t even bother trying. You stink anyway!” And this, of course, keeps me from action.

It makes me a coward! And since I’m the only “self” I’ve got, this obviously affects me in the “highest extreme.”

So, what do you think? Do you see yourself as being a coward when you are self-critical?

Is your self-destruction stopping you from taking action? And if so, what are you going to do about it?

You’re the only “self” you’ve got, too!

1 comment:

Ms. Liz said...

I've been meaning to comment on this all week. I love how I find myself nodding in total agreement in your thoughts' wake and in similar headspaces. I love this blog thing, its like a constant and pertinent group discussion that helps me think better.

How did we get this way? When did failure become bad? I mean - you miss 100% of the shots you don't take and 99% of the shots you do. So we're all just living for and in that 1% and thats just the facts (That goes back to your mental health and average days too). It's totally logical that we're going to see a lot of it before we get what we want and that doesn't make it bad, just part of the process right? So why does it freeze us in our tracks? Is this Barbie syndrome?