Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Secret

So, here’s something I do that no one knows about.

It’s not that big of a deal, really.

But, it’s the ritual I do to invoke the muse, as they say.

I put on this CD and let the words from one of our greatest poets flow over me. Sometimes I listen to it for an entire day. I have most of the sonnets memorized by now. And I love to repeat them in my best British accent (sometimes I even use gestures for added emphasis (don’t laugh)).

Oh, and there’s one sonnet (Sonnet 29) put to music by Rufus Wainwright that I listen to about 67 times in a row like I’m some kind of idiot savant (although I don’t think they’re called idiot savants anymore, but I can’t remember the new PC term, so I’m just going with that) and it always brings me to tears.

You can listen to it here. (Just click on the top of the article where it says “audio clip.”)

Maybe it will inspire you to pick up a pen and write what lies within…

2 comments:

Ms. Liz said...

Oh good! I thought I was the only one with idiot savant tendencies around. Its good to know I'm in good company. I get lost easier in cords though. I think I can listen to Chanticleer's "Lo, How a Rose" back to back for 5 waking days and still be moved every time.

How embarassing that your secret CD is Shakespeare's sonnets and mine is J. Lo. You're marvelous.

rachelsaysso said...

This CD sounds terrific! I'm going to have to check it out. Especially because it has Rufus on it. I just found out that he did his Judy Garland show at the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks ago. A little sad that I missed it.