Friday, August 17, 2007

Never-ending Short Story, Ahhh ahhh ahhh

I've been working on a short story for about 3 years now.

I don't know if I'll ever finish it, to be honest. I keep tweaking it and changing it and hating it.

So, to force myself to make some more progress and not throw in the towel (or the pen), I've decided to post the first paragraph.

In a silent town, Herbert Dingle would not have been noticed. In fact, his calm demeanor would have blended into the bland environment. But in the town of Pleaseport, with all the disputes and distractions, his manner marked him as ‘different’ and punctuated the town’s atmosphere with a stillness that made him a target.

I know I have a LONG long way to go. But, it's a start.

You have to keep the dream alive, right?

Oh, and if you think it completely sucks, well then, join the club...

5 comments:

Ms. Liz said...

I like it. I like it a lot. Its a faboo beginning a immediately paints detailed character and setting with 3 sentences. Not easy my friend.

Amanda said...

Well, now you have to finish because I'm already interested.

Gina said...

Love the story. Mostly love the name of the character. I felt like I knew him instantly just by his name. As usual...great job!

rachelsaysso said...

I just realized that I never commented on this post. (bad friend). It's a great beginning. I'm already drawn in. Keep it up.

Amanda said...

So, Liz, how about you give us another piece of your story. It could be like the olden days when they would publish stories in newspapers a little bit at a time. We could have our Herbert Dingle installments. What do you say?