Sunday, August 19, 2007

Scripture Poetry

So, at Segullah magazine, I read a guest post that I really enjoyed.

You can read it here.

The author writes about taking poetic license with the scriptures and creating poetry. And if you know me, this is right up my alley in every conceivable way.

I was so inspired that I started going through some of my favorite scriptures and turning them into poems. It's pretty simple to do.

And I think you should all give it a try! (You don't have to worry about words, you just use the scriptures and play with the format a bit.)

My example is rather long (which is why I didn't post it in the comments at Segullah), but it is one of my favorite chapters.

Read it if you want, but really, this post is just about getting you guys to try it out.

It really helps in seeing the beauty and sacredness of the word of God.

John 6

Lord, evermore give us this bread.

I am the bread of life.

He that cometh
to me
shall never hunger.

He that believeth
in me
shall never thirst.

Him that cometh
to me
I will in no wise cast out.

I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will.
This is the Father’s will which hath sent me.

Everyone which seeth the Son
and believeth
on him
may have everlasting life.

The Jews then murmured at him.

Verily, verily, believeth on me.

I am that bread of life.

I am the living bread.

And the bread that
I will give is
my flesh
which I will give
for the life of the world.

He that eateth my flesh
and drinketh my blood,
dwelleth in me,
and I in him.

Many of his disciples said, This is a hard saying:
Who can hear it?


Doth this offend you?

It is the sprit that quickeneth;
the flesh profiteth nothing.

The words that I speak unto you,
they are spirit,
they are life.

From that time many of his

disciples

went back and walked
no more with him.


Will ye also go away?

1 comment:

rachelsaysso said...

What a beautiful way to look at scripture. I'm going to try it for sure.

I don't really think it's fair that your the funniest AND the most insightful of the bunch.